Dear Members of the Middle Gate Family,
I am very pleased to share some wonderful news with you. Recently, the Connecticut State Department of Education (CSDE) released information related to its new “accountability system.” Included in this approach are metrics related to student performance and designations of school successes, as well as those in need of improvement (Metrics and School Classification). Based on these new CSDE measures, Middle Gate School was recognized in the Schools of Distinction category in two areas:
1. Highest Progress Among Schools With A School Performance Index (SPI) Greater Than 88
2. Highest Overall Performance
This new metric system is different from NCLB (No Child Left Behind) in many ways including, but not limited to:
I am very excited to see our successes noted in this way. It is truly a credit to our wonderful staff, meaningful professional development opportunities (i.e. lesson study, DPLCs), collaborative efforts of the district leaders (administrators and teacher-leaders), and the tremendous support of our school community. Your involvement and investment are major contributing factors to this recognition! Thank you for helping to make this school a special place and achieve this special designation.
- Adjusting the target to be goal (on average) versus proficient
- Assigning a “weight” to each performance level versus school percentages
- Considering all CMT/standardized assessments (Math, Science, Reading, Writing versus only Math and Reading) in determining a school’s success
- Counting progress between all levels versus just into Proficient
- Recognizing gains and maintained success in high-performing schools
For more information, please read the following links or join me for the next Principal’s Coffee on Tuesday, January 15 (9:15am in the Library/Media Center).